Thursday, March 28, 2024

 

Thinking about baptism

 My wife just celebrated her spiritual birthday.  It was almost 60 years ago that she was born again.  This summer it will be just over 60 years since I was baptized.  So we were talking about the who, what, when, and whys of our baptisms.  Which led us to remember when our kids were baptized and the two grands that have made that decision.

We talk about baptism quite a bit.  We get to witness a lot of new births.  We talk to people who are coming back to Jesus about their baptism.

Here are just a few reflections about baptism.

I am thankful that my sins are washed away.  I grew up in a faith community that emphasized this aspect of baptism more than any other.  Rather than be critical for the things that were not emphasized, I am deeply thankful to understand this about my baptism.  My sins are forgiven.  Past, present, and future.

I need the Holy Spirit.  What an amazing gift I received at baptism.  God's Holy Spirit lives in me to help me be holy.

Being crucified with Christ calls for a level of understanding/faith that is simply not possible in infants and small children.  Baptism is where I died.

Baptism is something you live our the rest of your life.  I wish I had really understood this better.  Baptism is not just a "one and done" action.  It is a new birth into a new life that is lived differently.  Live to your baptism.

Baptism is when I was born again into a new family, the family of God.  I have a family that loves me and will take care of me physically, emotionally, and most of all... spiritually.  Not a perfect family, but a great family.

So we are thankful all these years later for the people who taught us about Jesus -- our parents and our church family. We are thankful that by faith we decided to be born again.

Baptism day.  The greatest day of our lives.  For every one of us.

And if you have not yet been baptized... well, this next Sunday is Easter.  It would be a great time to make that decision.  


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?