Monday, August 15, 2005

 

Saturday the freshman moved in...

It's an exciting time in Abilene and at Southern Hills when school starts again each fall. I was over at ACU Saturday morning handing out water with the Campus Ministry team from Southern Hills. It is always entertaining to watch the parents bringing their freshmen to school. The first-timers are nervous, excited, and emotional. Everything is new and sometimes a little frightening. The repeaters have a little better handle on the situation. I even saw a car window with "3 of 3" painted on the window. They were probably emotional too, but for a whole different reason.

There were girls coming in with diagrams of how their room was to be set up... and there were those trying to find where the dorms were located. Walmart had to have made some money Saturday; shelf paper, nails, cleaning supplies, etc. all becoming matters of immediate priority. I witnessed joy, sorrow, pain, exhaustion, frustration, pride, and serenity. Sometimes I saw all of these emotions within the same family.

But one thing struck me in each encounter: the sense of inevitability. Children grow up and go off to college, ready or not. It happens in all of our lives. My own children are having children. My parents and my in-laws are getting older, and so am I. Life is full of changes, and I for one like that. Each year-and even each day- brings something new. I even think each day is better than the one before.

I think that's because Jesus makes each day brand new and special. Without him, I just might see things differently. Change might be overwhelming and frightening. So thanks to Jesus.

And I'm glad I'm not the one carrying those televisions to the third floor.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?