Tuesday, September 13, 2005

 

Back from Louisiana...

I have just returned from another trip to Lafayette and Baton Rouge. It is always hard to sort out my thoughts after these trips. It is almost as if I have emotional overload. Almost two weeks after the hurricane there are still people finding their way into shelters. Many of these people still have no idea what they will do in the future, yet most of them are amazingly upbeat.

I was able to visit with several that were recently baptized while living in a church shelter. It seems to me that they have been given the greatest "relief" they will ever find. God's work is continuing in a great way. And the door to their hearts was opened by Christians willing to sacrifice and serve in the name of Jesus. I am reminded how many times in the gospel accounts that Jesus linked preaching and service. I need to remember how intertwined they are. Preaching may not be heard without demonstrated love and compassion, yet we really haven't made a forever difference in people's lives without telling the good news of Jesus.

And for those in our fellowship who enjoy pointing out the things wrong with the church of Christ... now is the time to celebrate what is right. We have come to the front in a wonderful way, and are recognized all over that area as the people who make a difference. We have set the standard for being God's hands in a world turned upside down. I am proud to be a member of the family of God in this time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?