Wednesday, November 16, 2005

 
I will admit up front that I am a Dallas Cowboy fan. I grew up watching them in the end zone of the Cotton Bowl back in the '60's. And as far as I know, Donovan McNabb is a fine person. But I enjoyed what I saw Monday night in the Eagles and Cowboys game. The Cowboys were not playing well and McNabb scored a touchdown. Even then, it seemed that would be enough to seal the Cowboy's fate. Then Donovan McNabb danced. I don't mean a little hop for joy. He strutted, he preened, he "rubbed it in".

Then at the end of the game, protecting a slim lead, he threw an interception. Threw it right to Roy Williams, who ran it in for the winning score. And to make it worse, McNabb was wiped out on a block. There he lay, crumpled on the turf. I didn't see him get up and dance. It tickled me, it seemed poetic justice, and I thought it served him right.

So what is that fine line between celebration, even wildly joyous celebration, and over the top- in your face - show boating? I wonder about fine lines in other aspects of life. Take praise for instance. Is it really an outpouring of love and adoration, or a statement to others? How appropriate is congregational celebration of births and/or healing when there are people there who have experienced sorrow in these situations and not joy?

I don't know that I have all these questions answered, but I'm glad I thought about them. And it did make me think that watching Monday night football was a spiritual experience.

Just like everything else I do... and maybe that's the point.

God help me to see the spiritual in everything I do.

Comments:
Steve,
Stumbled across your blog from something on DJ's I think...do hope all is well with you and am thankful you are safe at home again. Feel free to touch base anytime...dbulls@cox-internet.com

Regards,
Derald
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?