Thursday, December 15, 2005

 

More thoughts on disaster relief...

Every time I am in New Orleans I am struck by the selfless acts of so many volunteers. I am inspired by those who give of time and energy to get to that area for a day, a week, or a month, and work to help people get back in their homes and churches. I am amazed by the people who can't go but they give. But I am most amazed by those who live there and are pouring their lives into helping others. They open their homes, they feed, they clean, they pray, they study, they listen... and often their own lives have been turned upside down.

And I am so proud of so many churches. In a time when it popular among the church of Christ to point out our shortcomings and weaknesses, I want to say something in praise of us. Everywhere I have gone in New Orleans, the church of Christ is mentioned with respect and admiration. Government officials even send people to us to get help. We were first responders to this crisis and people noticed. We stepped up when people where hurting and in need. We gave our time, energy, and money. We took care of ourselves, and we took care of many others.

I know there were many other congregations who have come to the front, but I really commend Riverside in Lafayette, South Baton Rouge, Carrollton Avenue in New Orleans, and Tammany Oaks. Because of my work at Herald of Truth, I have been able to work with these congregations closely and they have let their light shine. People are seeing Jesus and lives will be changed forever because of what they are doing. God will give an increase of souls.

When tragedy strikes in the area where we go to church - and it will - will we step it up in the same way?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?