Thursday, January 12, 2006

 

I found a budget presentation in the Bible...

Most of you know I have a serious aversion to church budgets. Yes I know we have to be financially responsible, and I know you can't spend what you do not have. But budgets have always seemed so limiting. It is as if we are saying what we think we are able to do based on our ability. I am always afraid we are leaving God out. Where is the room for Him to work? We cut programs because we don't think we will give enough. We don't support missionaries because they are not in the budget.

We even tell people to tithe on faith, but we will not budget on faith. Maybe our people do not give because they don't agree with the budget. Maybe they do not feel challanged. Maybe budgets seem reactive and not visionary.

I always said budgets were not in the Bible, but I may have found one. Read John 6:5ff. Phillip presented a budget. And it was a test. And he failed. Jesus ignored his budget.

Just food for thought. I think I'll just keep giving and keep pushing missions and just see what God can do.

Comments:
I believe that budgets and a responsible plan for spending and stewardship are Godly (scriptural? maybe not). I also believe that a little boy gave all that he had so that Jesus could blow Phillip's budget out of the water. If all of us approached our giving like that church budgets would only be for the purpose of making a responsible decision of what to do with all of the money coming in.

I'm teaching ladies class on John 6-11 next week. Thanks for an interesting slant (and a new tangent! :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?