Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 

Somebody wasn't thinking...

I ate this morning at the new Cracker Barrel restaurant here in Abilene. Every time I go near it I am reminded of the sign controversy. They wanted to erect a sign taller than city ordinance would allow. They threatened not even to build if they could have this sign high enough to draw traffic to their location. Well, they got their sign and I'm sure people pull off the Interstate to eat there.

However, it is the hardest parking lot to pull into I have ever seen. If you head toward where the front seems to be, there is no entrance. You really have to work to get in. Great thinking on someone's part; throw a fit to get traffic to come to you and then make it hard to get in.

I don't guess we would ever do that in the church, would we? We wouldn't spend incredible amounts of money on buildings, fight over what draws the non-believer to be attracted to us, and then make it hard on them to get in. Or would we? If we are going to make it hard to get in, then why worry about what is functional in terms of attracting outsiders. Maybe some of these discussions are really about what we want anyway, and we just dress them up in better language so we feel good about ourselves.

Oh well, I like Towne Crier restaurant better anyway.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?