Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 
Today is the day I try again to confess to God that I cannot do it all. I say it to others all the time: God does not expect us to be able to do everything; give the burden of busyness to Him. So why can't I let go myself? There is lots going on at work and I can barely keep my head above water. My calendar is a joke. I am preaching all over Texas early spring, all over Louisiana late spring, and all over the world this summer. I am guilty about not teaching the University class much on Sundays, so I work extra hard to make HIP good. And I stress over not taking good care of my Shepherding Groups, but I am so busy with those is crises that I don't have time to lead. Then there are income tax records to organize, I want to spend time with my grandkids, and the dogs want to walk.

Sounds just like you, doesn't it? When I complained to Marsha, she said try being a teacher, Mom,Mimi, daughter, wife, elder's wife, mentor for all her "daughters", hostess, and... well, you get the picture. You do it too: family responsibilities, work demands, ministry pressure, alone time, chores, people who need you.

So what's the answer? Time with God. I need to hear His words, I need to talk to Him, I need to be with Him. If I get that done, everything else will work out somehow.

So God help me to remember to connect to you, give me energy for my tasks, help me remember the difference between what is important and what is urgent. And most of all, help me give my day -and my life- to you.

Comments:
HIP was so moving last night, you are such a blessing. Looking forward to all you have to say about the book of James.
 
I find myself focusing on the wrong things all of the time. It seems I can even convince myself they are valid and important worries, even though when I really look at them, they are typically things I have no control over. If I would put first things first, time spent with the Father, then everything else would get taken care of. I could be a better wife and mother if I was a better daughter to God. Worries of recurring cancer, and the loss of another child, how the bills will possibly be paid...all are valid, yet the ONLY option is for me to turn these things over to God.

Thanks for reminding me to lay it down at the foot of the cross...everything, and everyday!
 
It's so counter-intuitive: the nuttier our schedule is and becomes (and while I'm not traveling as much as you, I'll put my calendar up against yours any day) the faster we want to work and run. And I have an image of the Lord sitting off to the side just smiling, knowing that we simply need to kneel at His feet to make it all work (me learning how to say the word 'no' wouldn't hurt, either!) For me it's a daily battle to start my day by laying it before Him. But I know that I have only an empty cup to bring to the world if I don't start by "filling up"! And part of that is when you have "filled up" and speak the truth to us. Thank you for letting God use you that way.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?