Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 

Back from Malawi...

I am back from my trip to Malawi in East Africa. I was there as part of the Herald of Truth Bible distribution in the schools. As always, there were things that really brought me up short and made me think.

Malawi wants Bibles in the school system and they study them. We raise money in the United States to fund this program, but we can't study the Bible in our own school systems.

For many of these students, they get not just their first Bible, but often their first book of any kind.

I don't care how many times I see them, I cannot get used to mice on a stick. They sell them on the side of the road, and people buy them to eat.

I saw a goat strapped down on a bicycle in preparation for slaughtering. It made me think about Jesus being led to the slaughter for me.

Students wrote their names in their new Bibles at once. Teachers told me that they did that so they would know their Bible and no one could take it away.

I visited the Malawi Project, and was energized by their approach to making a difference in Malawi. Check out their website at www.malawiproject.org. They are just another of the many partners Herald of Truth is fortunate to get to work with.

And finally, I don't care what you do, or how hard you try, there is no easy way to get to East Africa.

But thanks to God for letting me go.

Comments:
As an educator that loves for children to love to read, I think it's fabulous that perhaps a child's first book of his/her very own is the very word of God. What a gift!

We've missed you! One of your trips over, you may have to pack me in your suitcase! That sounds like a fabulous opportunity!
 
I am glad you had a nice trip, and returned safely. I bet you missed your grandson!
 
So glad you are back safe, and that you had such an encouraging, and successful trip. We missed you! Can't wait to hear you share more stories about your trip, and I have a few new facts about Levi that I can't wait to share!
 
Cooked Mice on a Stick - that is a trend which has not hit Abilene yet. Exactly how do you eat a mouse on a stick?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?