Thursday, March 23, 2006

 

Christian Politics

Christian politics is a subject that is sure "hot" today. Here in Abilene, we have an intense race contested by two Republicans (in a run-off) and a Democrat that has lots of people stirred up about our "Christian" duty in this election. I just read an national news article this week about how Democrats are trying to find their faith voice. And of course, the Republican party has for several years been identified with the religious right. My son even sent me an excerpt from a blog he read today talking about the religious values in both political parties.

So I feel compelled -or maybe I am just contrary- to remind everyone that we are not really citizens of any earthly country. Our citizenship is in heaven and our kingdom knows no earthly boundaries. I am much more concerned with expanding the borders of my heavenly kingdom than I am with anything that happens to any earthly government. God is in charge of this world. He was working in this world before there was an America and he will be after this country goes the way of all countries. And His will is going to be done. Now or later.

And I will vote in our local election. And I support candidates who I think reflect my values. But the truth is, my values are about changing lives and not in changing legislation. Legislating morals does not get people into heaven. Jesus does that, and he wasn't a politician.

So I know where my time, energy, and money will go. And I'll win the only election that matters.

Comments:
My thinking is constantly evolving about this. No, you can't legislate morals, but I would really like a Christian in office to stand up and scream as blatant immorality continues to weave into our "social norm" and laws. I would like a Christian in office to be a good steward of my money. I do know devout Christians that cannot understand why I vote the way I do -- and I cannot understand how a Christian could vote the way they do. We agree to disagree about the role of government. No doubt, I need to spend more energy around my own little doorstep and what the Lord is calling me to do in my neighborhood than worrying about and getting angry about politics, but I believe Christians should take the time and energy to be involved and care.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?