Monday, March 13, 2006

 

It's about family...

Saturday was one of those days when I was reminded that our lives are about people, and more specifically I was reminded that family is what matters. Saturday morning we went to the funeral celebration for Tim Yandell's dad. We rode from Abilene with Phil and Donna and John and Jana. Along with Time and Traci, that is our small group and our spiritual family in a very real sense. I saw lots of you there also being the family of God in a real way to Tim and his physical family. You took time and made an effort to be there. That's what families do...we are there for each other. By the way, Tim sang Amazing Grace at the funeral. I've heard Tim sing that at lots of funerals, but this was special. It touched me.

Saturday night we spent with Marsha's brother, Don, at his 60th birthday party. Most of the Herttenberger family was there, as were lots of Don's friends from his church family at Alta Mesa. When asked to say a few words, he spoke of God's goodness in granting him second and third chances. Not many people can pull off giving a testimony at their birthday party without it seeming a little forced and odd. But it was powerful. More emotion for me and family...

And then between funerals and parties, we hung out with Anna Claire- our seven month old granddaughter. Oh yeah, and Joe Don and Jamie. As always, Anna stole hearts and hugs with her rosy cheeks and personality plus. And I think happy kids come from happy parents, so it made me a happy "Pops".

So what's the point of all this? To remind you to value your family, both your physical and spiritual one. Take a moment to thank God for them, and it wouldn't hurt to let some of them hear from you how much they mean to you. After all, we're all in this together.

So thanks God for surrounding me with family that loves me and cares for me.

Comments:
Family's great -- after my spring break "Tour of Texas" they're a little close right now, but great! What a blessing they all are.

And Tim, "Amazing Grace" -- I can't even think about it without weeping. It was UNBELIEVABLE.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?