Wednesday, March 15, 2006

 

Preaching and technology...

I had a discussion the other day with some university students about preaching and technology. Their opinions were all over the place. Some thought the use of film clips, images, and power point was wonderful and exactly the way to reach our modern culture. Others thought technology distracted from the message, put too much of a premium on entertainment, or was not done in just the right way. In other words, they debated how to use technology in the same way my generation debated the use of illustrations. And I must confess, I am conflicted about this whole technology in preaching deal.

Why isn't God's Word enough? If I get bored with a "non enhanced" sermon, is my faith weak? Is the preacher poorly prepared, or just a poor communicator? How long before someone begins to market the technological outlines for a sermon? I heard Rick Atchley preach Sunday, except for the fact that I was in Fort Worth and he was in Canada. He was pre-recorded. Is this the wave of the future? Why not take the 10 or 12 best preachers in our brotherhood, record them, and make sure every church uses just their videos? Maybe we could do the same with our praise teams. In fact, this whole meet together thing could be eliminated with just a little work and some more technology.

I don't know. I hear Phil preach every Sunday and he is about as cutting edge as anyone in our fellowship. And I don't use any technology. Maybe I ought to, it might help. But people seem to listen to both of us. I do know that we better decide how it works, how we use it, and how it fits in our mission. Is it critical, important, helpful, confusing, or distracting? And what is the difference in how a believer and a non-believer view it? How different is a "post-modern" from a baby boomer? And is the target audience even in our assembly?

Well, wiser heads than mine need to think on this and help me sort it out. And then you may have to do a power point for me...or maybe not.

Comments:
I think you bring up great questions -- so where are the answers? I am always of a mind that the fewer things you put in front of my face, the more I can focus on the words. That's why my family almost sits on the stage in church -- I won't spend my time looking at other people's clothes, etc. Oddly enough, I feel this way about having a praise team in front, as well. But, I have learned that you could do all 52 services in a year differently and someone still wouldn't get what they need/ want. I just show up and ask the Lord what I'm supposed to take away from it. That's my responsibility as a citizen of His kingdom. And I'll do your power point for you -- but it may look a little flowery!
 
Life would be boring with preachers preaching the same way. I love that the personalities of preaching are as different as the men standing up front. Each man has a different gift from the Lord, and He never leads any two people to be exactly the same. I love that we have so many different types of leaders at church, I am blessed by each one.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?