Monday, April 17, 2006

 

Did you celebrate Easter...

Yesterday was Easter, and again I had those questions about celebrating Easter. Is it a special day of celebration or is it not? After lots of thought and discussion over the years, I have decided the answer is yes and no. I grew up in a church that did not put any special emphasis on Easter. I am not sure if that was because of theology or an effort not to look like all the denominations. After lots of reflection, I have decided there are some sound theological reasons for not treating Easter differently. For one thing, I am reluctant to have a special celebration of the resurrection on any one day. I do believe that as Christians we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord every day. I have life today because the Christ triumphed over death. And I should celebrate that fact every day. Then as the body of God's people we celebrate the death and resurrection of Jesus on the first day of every week. That's one of the main reasons we gather each week. And I am always hesitant to do anything that might encourage someone to once a year worship. If a Christian thinks Easter is the one day you better go to church, then they are missing the point.

On the other hand...

Easter is a wonderful time to share the truth about the death and resurrection of Jesus. All over the world there are people thinking about Jesus. What a wonderful opportunity to invite friends and neighbors to worship. It's the one time of the year when they might be receptive to attending church. We had a family visit Southern Hills with us yesterday. Phil did a great job talking about starting life over in the context of Easter. And we did have two baptisms yesterday, one raised in a family of believers and one who was not. And I always think that some of our once a year attenders might actually get it this year. Maybe they will start realizing what it is to live the Christian life.

So I can argue both sides of the celebrate Easter question. If you are talking theology, I believe I celebrate the resurrection daily in my life and weekly in the life of my church. If you are talking practical opportunities to reach out to non-believers, or to refocus and renew as believers, then of course we should celebrate Easter.

So how was your Easter?

Comments:
First, let me start by saying that I grew up in some kind of whacky CofC that actually acknowledged Christmas AND Easter, so to ignore it has been an adult revelation that I will never get.

I wish I could find precisely where I saw this, but someone likened "ignoring it because we celebrate the resurrection 365 days a year" to a quote in "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" where the big sister is trying to be reassuring, I think to a brother, and says, "You know, you're all very special." To which the reply came, "That's just a nice way of saying that none of us is special." I'm afraid we do that. I wish that I passionately remembered the sacrifice of the death, as well as the promise and renewal of the resurrection 365 days a year. But I don't. Life gets in the way and I become a forgetful Israelite. I desperately need a celebration day on the calendar to remind me that's the whole reason I live the way I do, and the whole reason I can have the hope I have. And if it gets someone into the door of the church building that may not come otherwise, then I'll pray that the Lord touch their heart and pull them into the fold.
 
I think about this question every year around this time. I have come to a realization recently after becoming a father. . . just because I celebrate my daughter being born every single day doesn't mean that her birthday isn't a big deal. I don't love her anymore on her birthday, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't do a few extra things for her on that day. Every time I look at her I realize my life is different and I should celebrate THE day that my life changed forever!

It is the same with Christ and his resurrection. My life, along with every other Christian's life, was changed forever the day Christ was resurrected. So even though I live a life with the hope and faith that Christ was resurrected, along with remembering weekly with communion, I need to stop once a year and make a big deal out of the day my life was changed forever.

Additionally, Easter, unlike Christmas, is a date that is historically accurate.
 
Sarah and JD, well said. It is always helpful to get insights into how to keep my focus. I need you to keep providing illustrations for me. Those were good.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?