Thursday, April 20, 2006

 

Reflections on storms...

Storms rolled into Abilene last night, and there is just nothing like a West Texas thunderstorm. It began to thunder in the middle of our elder prayer time. It made me think of "rooms being shaken" when God's people pray. I would guess that over 100 people were prayed for by name during that time. It is amazing to serve with men that are that committed to prayer for their flock. They invest untold time and energy in shepherding.

It was almost midnight when I got home, so Mom was long gone to bed. Tried to watch the Rangers but they were clearly going to blow their lead (which they did). So the dogs and I sat awhile on the back porch and watched the rain and lightening. I'm pretty sure they even prayed with me. I was struck by the power of our God. I marvel at his creation and praise Him for his power.

Then I woke up from 3-3:30 and listened to round two of thunder and lightning. Didn't sleep much afterward; storms disrupting my life. And I thought about people I know and love who have storms raging in their lives. Thunder and lightning from sin that is ripping apart their lives. But for many of them, they are beginning to see the power of God thru the storm. God's power can heal, restore, forgive, and make new. He can bring joy, peace, and love into broken lives.

So what do storms say to you?

Comments:
Storms. Life changes or physical wind, hail, water, etc. Most of the time it causes discomfort or produces healing.

First patient I saw this AM was a 55 year old lady in tears. Lost her husband of 30 years last month to heart attack. She is in the deep depths of the grieving process, trying to fill the emptiness. Man, after weathering out the loss of my dad last year, I could totally empathize with her pain, fear, etc. I gave her my mom's phone number, since they are the same age and similar losses.

I would love to have my dad back in a heartbeat, but you know something- Daddy's dying has had a profound effect on my life and how to care for those who don't know Jesus. Having walked this path with my mom for the past year, it is a tough road to be single again in your 50's. And living down here-church is a sparse family and not reliable.

A pearl someone gave me, and I use it quite frequently, "Grief is like an onion. Each layer you peel off makes you cry, and there is always another layer underneath." So I guess in a round about way storms are like onions! They bring wetness to your face! : )

Thank you for your words Steve. And most of all thank you for your example. I appreciate you, even from a distance!
 
Storms say, "It may look like Armegeddon, but He is here through it all and has it totally under control." I love a good rainstorm. I love a victorious lifestorm -- in the rear-view mirror.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?