Wednesday, May 31, 2006

 

I wish I had invented insurance...

Just recently I heard two more interesting experiences with insurance companies. And it just made me realize again that insurance is absolutely the greatest business in the world. Only a genius could have thought it up and then marketed it. But before I explain why I think that, I do need to acknowledge that I have some very good friends in the insurance business, and I know a number of Christians that work in that industry. I even sold insurance for a few months years ago but my view of how it ought to work was not conducive to making money so it didn't last long. I do carry various types of insurance and I have filed claims and recieved money from insurance companies. I have been treated well and I have been taken advantage of... so with those disclaimers, here goes.

What a concept: to build an entire industry around predicting the future. Insurance is to provide for things that may, or may not, happen. And we pay for protection for something that probably will not happen. Insurance companies would not be in business if they did not turn a profit, so most people will not recieve the benefit they pay for. Most people do not die prematurely and most people do not wreck their cars, and most people do not have devastating illnesses. It's brilliant. Sell something that is not real and that most people will never need. And then if someone does use what they bought, raise the rates. I cannot fathom any other business that sells intangibles in the future and expects you not to use what they sold you.

Then it seems as if they train an army of people to not give you what you thought you paid for. And they are smart enough not to make the agent the bad guy. He can sell you protection, but he has no control over whether you recieve what you thought you bought. I am even more amazed at the brilliance of an industry that gets a law passed saying everyone must have basic auto insurance, but still sells you insurance in case someone doesn't obey the law. Brilliant. And unfathomable. You would have to be a lawyer to figure this stuff out. And yes, my son is an attorney and he does work somtimes with insurance companies. And you know what, I'll never deal with an insurance company without using him. Because it is too much for me to deal with, or understand. Brilliant. In my living room, it is simple and smart. It is spiritual and a matter of stewardship, and can change the future of my family. Till I need to use it. Then it makes you want to say bad words.

I do want my family taken care of if something happens to me. I do want help if my house is destroyed or my car wrecked. Wouldn't it be great if we could be part of some kind of group that would do that for each other. Those of us that have extra could share with those in need. And we could take care of widows and orphans. Now that would be brilliant. And that's the insurance- or the assurance - I really want. And I can sell that all day long.

But it would probably never go over. It just seems to simple. And it might put insurance out of business.

Well...just some tongue in cheek food for thought. But I bet it hit home with most of you. Now I have to go see if anyone has hit my car recently.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?