Monday, May 15, 2006

 

Mother's Day Reflections

I always feel funny about special days for special people. For those really special people, every day is their day and if they are not so special...then why have a day for them. But having said that, I want to share a few reflections of Mother's Day.

As we often do at Southern Hills, we maintained another one of our messy traditions. We had every child (from little to big) get a flower to give to their Mom. Some had to get more than one, and it wasn't very orderly, but there sure was a lot of love shown to mothers. And I appreciate the fact that we honor all of our Moms, including the spiritual Moms in our church family who do not have physical children of their own.

And I have thought a lot this year about Moms who are in pain. I marvel at those of you parenting as single Moms. I honor the faith of those of you mothering children with major illness. I hurt for those of you who have children who cause you great pain. I hurt for moms whose children do not know Jesus. I remember all the moms who added children this year, including those of you who had complications and trying pregnenccies. And I remember those of you who want to be moms so badly and have not yet had that blessing.

Finally, I thought of the five mothers this year who are close to me. This was the first Mother's Day for Julie and Jamie to get to hold Jake and Anna. They are such good mothers, and to see their love and prayers for my grandchildren touches me. And when I think about my grandchildren, I realize how blessed my children are to have had their mom. Marsha has prayed, loved, and modeled faith for them for thirty years. And that is a reflection of her mom. Granny continues to be a rock for our family. To see her, Mom, and Julie pass Jake around each Sunday is an amazing sight.

And then I need to say how much I appreciate my Mom. Her faith in God, family, and me has sustained me thru lots of tough times. She never gave up on me, even when she could have. Much of my preaching on grace comes from watching her model grace to our family.

So thanks to the great mothers of this world. Thanks to those of you who model Jesus for the rest of us. And thanks to the five mothers in my life. You inspire me to love more, hold on to Jesus more tightly, and to continue to show Jesus in this world.

Hope you had a good Mother's Day too.

Comments:
This was definitely a SPECIAL mother's Day for me!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?