Tuesday, May 16, 2006

 

Putting our best foot forward...

The topic comes up more than you would think: do we dress up for God or do we "come as we are". You know how the debate goes. We should dress in our Sunday best out of respect for God. After all, worship is special and God deserves our best. If we would dress up for a visit with the President, isn't God more special? It shows a lack of respect when we dress casual. And there are some obvious flaws in this arguement. First of all, I am not sure God is impressed by what I wear. I don't think I can gain his respect based on what I wear. And then what does a poor person wear? Well, that doesn't really matter because we don't have poor people in our assemblies.

And you know how the debate goes on the other side. God wants me to be free to worship Him without making it a "special" occasion. Worship is an outgrowth of my everyday experience with my Father, so it is not like a visit to the President. The post modern generation is much more likely to come to our assemblies if they can come as they are. And there are obvious flaws here also. There is something special about our coming together as family to remember the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. And it is true that we have gone from Sunday best to Sunday worst in some cases. Do I really want to attract people based on the fact they don't have to dress up?

So do I wear my cut-offs or my tux? It may be that we are missing the point of the discussion. Maybe what I wear to worship is a reflection of my respect, not for God, but for the rest of my family. I do not want what I wear to make it difficult for others to worship with me. I don't know that it has to be suits and Sunday dresses, but I don't know that shorts and tee-shirts are appropriate. But it shouldn't matter what others wear, my focus should be on God. And yet, it is corporate worship and we are there to encourage one another.

Maybe we just ought to use common sense. I never want to be dressed in a way that brings reproach on Christ. So modesty is required. And I do not want my attire to be an issue that keeps my family from worshipping. Interestingly, I never hear complaints about someone who dresses in Sunday best. Unless they try to enforce that on others.

Reverence God, love your family, use common sense. What do you think?

Comments:
Nathaniel and I already discuss what the expectations will be for our children's dress. It is sad but true that many of these discussions were started as a result of witnessing what we consider 'inappropriate attire' at church. We talk about the difference between what is 'socially acceptable' versus what we believe to be acceptable based on our values. It is going to be interesting to see how this discussion turns into action as we model for our little ones!
 
EXCELLENT reflection, and well articulated!! AMEN!!

My dad taught me that you always wear a collared shirt to church, and it doesn't matter if it's Sunday morning or Wednesday night. While our society is one that has shifted from wearing a suit and tie and a nice hat to a baseball game during my grandfathers' generation, to a very casual society, I think we should dress better to worship our Father, Lord, and Savior than we do to attend a baseball game today.

I have no problem with casual and comfortable -- but you can be comfortable in a pair of nice jeans or Dockers and a golf shirt.

And what you said about impacting the worship of your brothers and sisters is not even considered now -- and it should be.

But as long as I keep seeing shorts and t-shirts at church, it provides me another opportunity to reflect on my dad and his teachings -- so I guess it's not all bad.
 
I am of the "look your best" for Sunday a.m., and your "almost best" for Sunday and Wednesday nights school. I still dress that way, but it's more out of habit and comfort level than any well-thought-through philosophy. I think you summed it up quite well: reverence, respect (for others who are worshipping), and common sense that seems to be in desperately short supply.
 
Allow me to clarify: (I really shouldn't post when I'm this tired) I believe that common sense is in desperately short supply on the planet in general, which means probably at church, as well. I won't make a call on reverence and respect.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?