Thursday, August 03, 2006

 

Christians, war, and politics...

One of my most vivid memories of Cuba is the number of signs denouncing my native country, the United States. They even had a major anti-American rally near where we were staying. I was amazed at how easy it must be for a Cuban to learn to hate all things American. Of course, it is easy for an American to learn to hate Castro, communism, and perhaps even Cuba.

It is not out of the realm of possiblity that at some point there could be some level of armed conflict between Cuba and the United States, either overt or covert.

So I am glad that I am not a citizen of Cuba...or even of the United States. My citizenship is in heaven, as is that of my brothers and sisters in Cuba. There is no Christian nation in our world. The nation of God has no earthly headquarters, nor any geographic boundaries. And I have much more in common with my family in Cuba than I do with those outside my family who share my geographic citizenship.

As a believer, I could never serve in the military of any country. Because if I fight in a war for my country, and my brother in other country fights for his country...I could kill my brother (or vice versa). And if you believe it is acceptable to go to war for the United States because we are on the side of truth and justice...then I urge you to read your New Testament more closely.

Besides, years ago I decided which army I had to fight with, and it is the army of God. My army was in battle before most countries in the world existed and it will outlast every country on this earth.

And we will win.

So am I really a patriot? I guess not. I love the USA, Texas, and Abilene (and probably the Northeast part of Abilene most of all). In fact, if I was not a Christian I would bleed red, white, and blue. But Jesus bled red for me and that's where my allegience will be. And so I love the family of God more. In fact, there is no comparison. God has done more for me than any country ever would do or could do.

I will pray for my Cuban brothers who face persecution, and I pray for my American brothers who face persecution. And I am confident God will deliver us all.

Comments:
You have hit on a pretty inflammatory topic for our time. I am inclined to agree with you on the fact that God is on His side and we should consider ourselves members of his "army." I also believe that war is from time to time necessary. It's not ever a good or welcome thing, but it is sometimes the only recourse. I think Christians should consider carefully what they fight for. Is protecting my family and community a "just cause?" How far does that extend?

When I started thinking about this topic, I was reminded of C.S. Lewis and some of the things he said about war. In his classic Screwtape Letters, Lewis describes what a chief demon [Screwtape] might tell underling demon [Wormwood] about war.

After warning that wartime conditions may build up human souls as well as destroy them, Screwtape urges Wormwood to push his "patient" (as he calls the human) to one extreme or the other:

Consider whether we should make the patient an extreme patriot or an extreme pacifist. All extremes … are to be encouraged. Not always, of course, but at this period. Some ages are lukewarm and complacent, and then it is our business to soothe them fast asleep. Other ages such as the present one are unbalanced and prone to faction, and it is our business to inflame them (Screwtape 40).

Screwtape goes on to apply this advice to Wormwood's assigned "patient":

Whichever side he adopts, your main task will be the same. Let him begin by treating the Patriotism or the Pacifism as a part of his religion. Then let him, under the influence of the partisan spirit, come to regard it as the most important part. Then quietly and gradually nurse him into the stage at which religion becomes merely part of the "cause" and his [faith] is valued chiefly for the excellent arguments it can produce in favour of the British war effort or of Pacifism. … Provided that meetings, pamphlets, policies, movements, causes, and crusades mean more to him than prayer and and sacraments and charity, he is ours--and the more "religious" on those terms the more securely ours. I could show you a pretty cageful down here (Screwtape 42-43).

I am inclined to agree with Lewis that it is more important that Christians keep their heads and keep a Godly perspective. We should remember that God is most likely more concerned about our souls rather than our nationality.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?