Wednesday, August 02, 2006

 

Thoughts on Cuba...

Our recent trip to Cuba for the Herald of Truth youth campaign was amazing. Over 300 in attendance, 25 baptisms, lots of prayer and fellowship. Here are some of my initial thoughts and reactions.

...the area we worked in (Matanzas) has had 100 baptisms since the first of the year. They take evangelism seriously.

...if you are the first person converted in your town or village, the church meets in your home the next week.

...some young people rode the bus 14 hours one way just to be able to fellowship with other believers.

...Tim Archer and I visited in 12 - 15 different homes on our visit. They all wanted to serve us something. I took whatever they offered me. I still don't know what some of it was. Probably don't want to know.

...my favorite story is the couple who responded to Juan Monroy's radio broadcast. Tony, our field rep there, visited with them and baptized them last December. The church met in their house the next Sunday. The husband started a preacher training program two nights a week and now is the preacher for that church of now around 15 people.

...they recognized my name from one of our tracts someone had given them. I think they thought I must be famous. Now they know better.

...I was never scared at any time going thru customs in Cuba.

...I was very nervous going thru customs in the U.S. And for my sons and my accountability group- no I did not bring back cigars.

...I wonder how many of us would have church in our homes Sunday, and be expected to invite our friends and neighbors, and buy into the fact that ministry is now our highest and truest calling (even tho we are not paid).

I am now even more fired up about being serious about my calling. I am tired of playing church and holding hands of Christians who should know better. Bet you can't wait to hear me at HIP now, huh? Maybe I'll cool off by then. Or maybe not.

Comments:
I CAN'T wait!! That has ME fired up -- no letting the baby Christians tip-toe their way into serving!! You're a new Christian AND you're the church building now! I love it!

You're famous at my house! If my kids know your name, it's pretty big doin's! :-)
 
I think you are famous! :)

And I cannot wait to hear what you have to share at HIP...or any other time! I hope you are still on fire and I know you will have powerful things to say.

Glad you are back...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?