Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

Another year older...

I had another birthday yesterday. Birthdays are always odd to me. I never feel different but everyone acts like you should. Maybe its because this one was my 55th. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel at that age. Is it young or old? I know I look older but I never really think about that. I think I act younger, but not with any conscious effort. However, there are a few things I am aware of as I get older.

I mark time by knowing that other people are getting older. My babies are having babies. I know elders who used to be in youth groups. I have lots of second generation people hearing me preach. And even a few third generations. I just don't seem older.

I can still do about anything I want to...it's just that it takes longer sometimes. And it takes longer to recover. So my projects need a little longer lead time. I don't look much different. That's the advantage of being bald and having a face like mine. I've looked this way for years and probably will for lots more years.

The list of things that really matter to me becomes shorter and shorter. But the things that do matter become more critical. I am more intense about God and Jesus and family.

I am just not much for looking in the rear view mirror. The past is past, and I can't do anything about it. I wish I had done some things differently, but why dwell there. I don't even want to live in the "good ol days" of the past.

I just don't get the whole retirement thing. Sure there are a few things I wish I had more time for, but I don't know that there are a lot of things I'd do different. And I guess the money situation is different when you retire, but I figure I'll do about the same things I do now for the rest of my life. I'll talk about Jesus, try to be more like him, and keep enjoying each day as a gift from God.

So I guess I'll just keep on keeping on. But feel free to check in on me when I'm 75...or 105. Or when we get to heaven.

So how about you? Are you getting older? How do you know?

Comments:
Well, Happy Birthday late! Mine was last week...the big 30! I agree everyone expects you to feel different, but my response was always, "Today at 30 feels just like yesterday did at 29!"

Hope you had a great one!
 
HIP was GREAT tonight! Thanks for all you said about death and Heaven! And if I go first, I'll certainly wait for you by the gate...but if you are there before I am, wait by the gate with my two babies snuggled up tight.
 
Anne,

I thought of you when preparing for last night. I just didn't get over in time to hug. And that's a deal. We will all be there waiting on you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?