Monday, September 25, 2006

 

I just can't give up on some people...

I recently was asked about why I spend so much time with people who seem to be struggling with the same old sin and not making much visible progress - while at the same time spending hardly any time with others in sin. It was a good question and I continue to reflect on it. However, I am clear about a couple of things and maybe they will help you decide who to invest your time in helping.

I help the "triers". I continue to spend time with people who confess their sin, commit to doing better, and actually take steps to change their life. Sure it takes time. I get frustrated but so do they. Sometimes it seems that not much progress is being made. But when I get a sense that they are trying, I go the extra mile.

I must confess that I do give up on others quickly. If they can't admit their sin, or if they don't seem willing to go to war to get it out of their lives, then I don't waste much time with them. Does that seem judgemental? Perhaps, but I ask for wisdom and I try to be a good steward with the time I have available.

Of course I am sure that some people are conning me, and that others are much more penitent than they seem. So I do the best I can to help as many as I can to defeat their demons.

Most of you will know that for a long time I too was a trier: someone who hated my sin, wanted to defeat my sin, and wanted to be what Jesus wanted me to be. And every day I am conscious of how grateful I am that God- and some of his people - wouldn't give up on me. So I'm pretty patient with strugglers. There but for the grace of God go I.

Comments:
Thanks for not giving up!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?