Friday, October 06, 2006

 

Elder Guilt...

I seem to spend a great deal of time in elder's meetings talking about members who have dropped out or who are not involved. As I talk to elders at other congregations they face the same struggles. And we all feel guilty about it. I want to be clear that I believe we should do all we can to keep the flock together and herd them all into heaven. But it just is not going to happen.

I have been reading the parable of the sower quite a bit lately. Jesus seems to be saying that some Christians will not last because they have shallow roots, some will not be productive, and then there will be others that will be productive. Maybe we should realize that there is nothing we can do to insure that everyone is faithful and productive. New organizational stucture for shepherding groups, new programs, new ministers, new shepherds, or new (fill in the blank here), are not going to be the magic bullet to keep all the flock faithful and productive.

So maybe we should not stress so much. I am resolving to be faithful to God, faithful to my family, and to be a good example to the flock. I want to be available to the sheep who need me and I will do the best I can to see that everyone at Southern Hills gets to heaven. But Jesus says that some will fall away and some will not be active.

So to my fellow shepherds around the world: live victoriously, enjoy the flock, help all you can, and let's not beat ourselves up over the ones that don't make it. Maybe we ought to rejoice over all the ones that do. None of us can do everything for everyone, and I don't think we have to.

Comments:
You are an amazing man of God...I know He is happy to call you His son! Thanks for being the caring shepherd...Nathaniel and I appreciate you so very much.

We are having to learn that sometimes, no matter how badly we want to, there are some people who are unreceptive to our attempts at helping them. We are learning to love while not accepting bad choices, and the harder lesson for us is to not carry guilt that we could have somehow made things different.

Ultimately, Nathaniel and I have to be there for each other...leading our family in God's ways. Thanks for being there for us!
 
Keep that attitude and someday Nataniel will be wrestling with these issues as a shepherd.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?