Tuesday, November 14, 2006

 

Go Razorbacks...

I have tried not to write about my Hogs, but I can't help it. I am sure this may jinx them... but what a year. We are ranked anywhere from 5 - 6 in the various polls and 7th in the BCS standings. If things go well... national championship.

You may be wondering how I got to be an Arkansas Razorback fan. After all, I didn't attend there, never lived there, and have no real connection there. Except that my parents are from Arkansas, and all my relatives followed the Razorbacks. I still remember one of my uncles taking me to the Cotton Bowl to watch Arkasas defeat SMU. It's where I learned to call the Hogs. And of course, my son Joe Don grew up rooting for the Hogs. It was just what you did around our house.

Which leads me to reflect about how families inherit certain beliefs, prejudices, convictions, etc. It just happens when you are immersed in certain things. So I became a Razorback fan, Joe Don became a Razorback fan, and I suspect his kids might also. Of course, how could J.D. not become a fan. We watched the Hogs on television, we saw basketball games at Barnhill, and talked about their chances. Of course, they delivered: bowl games, a great run in basketball, the greatest track program in history, baseball playoffs.

So what else did my kids pick up growing up in our family? I think they are people of the Word, grace, forgiveness, evangelism, service, and giving. I think they were immersed in Christ (both in a literal and a figurtive sense). The Razorback intoctrination was not intentional, the Jesus was. But they learned them both the same way. They were part of Ridgell culture.

So what are your kids learning as they grow up in your family? What do we talk, live, and get excited about? And does the object of our passion deliver?

Comments:
I find things like this very interesting. Do you know how many major league ball-players have fathers that were major league ball-players? In baseball, it's a lot (if I were a better baseball fan I could tell you numbers). As a teacher, I know that one of the main factors in a student's passion for reading is whether or not their parents read for pleasure.

I see so many unintentional things I pass along -- impatience with things that don't really matter like technology not going my way or drivers on their cell phones, etc. But a few weeks ago Riley asked me what I would wish for if I had 3 wishes. I truly couldn't think of one thing and initially said, "I'm happy with what I have." He wouldn't settle for that, so he pressed me. "Okay," I said. "I wish you and Ashley would grow up to love the Lord more than anything and marry someone who does the same and raise my grandbabies to do the same." He was completely dissatisfied with this answer as well: "Mom! We're already going to do all of that stuff."

I want it in writing!

But somewhere along the way my kids have learned that this is valued in my home above all -- and I hope and pray that they see how much JOY there is in loving the Lord with all of your heart! I'm sure I fall short in lots of areas of parenting, but pray that they also see His grace to cover all of it!
 
Steve--
Can well relate your 'hogs' love much like my Bama affection...and DJ, like me, is a big fan...amazing how we influence our children (or young men)...hopefully 'other', more life-giving influences reign in their lives....blessings, DJB,SR
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?