Wednesday, November 29, 2006

 

Kids are great...

One of the fun things about holidays is the chance for Mimi and Pops to spend lots of extra time with our granddaughter Anna Claire. She is over a year old now and walks/runs everywhere. We got to take her the park, to a Santa's workshop, and I even kept her entertained while Mom and Mimi shopped. Watching her interact with other little kids was great. They all got along, they all had fun, they all were kind and generous. Oh, and they were different colors and came from different backgrounds, and even different cultures. And most of them were under three (it's pretty cool to see a three year old be the big person).

I suspect that if there had been a few older kids it might not have gone so well. As our babies start to grow up, they develope prejudices, they become selfish, and they don't always play well with others. Where do they learn this stuff? Surely not from parents that should know better.

I really am not surprised at what kids in the world learn from their parents. After all, why do we expect non-believers to act different? But how do the children of believers learn the wrong things? Do they pick it up from the world as they grow, or do they get it from us?

God help us to teach our little ones the right things...and not the wrong. And if you think I'm harsh on this... check out Jesus.

Comments:
Kids ARE great Steve. At keeping you in balance; but then again, they can knock you off balance just as quickly. I think of my own children and wonder where in the world they learn some of the stuff they pick up. And then I catch myself - saying or doing something that I wouldn't really want to ever say or do. I do feel some actions/reactions are inherited though, and yes it's usually our least desirable traits. But then, there are the other people there are around as well that they do pick up from. Thankfully, we have a God that can turn anything bad into something good, right? That he sees us as little children without predujice.
 
One thing is for sure...there are days when Natalie is learning alot from me, and there are days when I am the one doing the learning from her! I think God intended it to be that way, for us to take note and learn from their inconditional-ness and their innocence.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?