Thursday, November 02, 2006

 

More on "picking a church"...

Several have asked what kind of church we should be so that others would want to be a part of us. And the follow-up to that is how to become that church. I think the first is much easier to answer than the second. Here it is: I want an Acts 2 church. I know that probably seems too simplistic, but every time I read Acts 2: 42-47 I see the model for the church I want to be belong to.

So what would a church look like today that was really modeling Acts 2? It would be a Word based church. They would preach it, teach it, study it outside of the assembly. Public worship would be important. The Lord's Supper would be central, there would be lots of prayer, the fellowship would matter to each of us.

There will be a sense of awe and excitement at what God is doing. We would truely be family where those who have real needs have them met by those God has blessed with various resourses (time, talent, money).

There would be opportunities for real daily fellowship as we study, pray, and eat together. Maybe today they are called life groups, shephering groups, or small groups. We would praise God and our communities would appreciate what we are doing in this world.

People would seek to be a part of a church like that, and we would willingly share our testimony about the wonderful things God is doing. We would share the gospel so that others could know the blessings of Jesus.

So how do we become this kind of church?

Maybe I should just work on being that kind of Christian, and I will see that kind of church.

Comments:
I'll comment on both parts of this post combined:

Your quote:
"..is that most decisions about where to attend church are relational. People go where they can connect."

Really? If we are talking about 'non-church' folks walking in the door I might agree. But for "lifers" (those grown up in the church), its more often about doctrinal issues...why else do we have no fewer than 15 C of C's in the city limits of Abilene?

I've got people I 'relate' to at other congregations, but we chose SHCC for a mixture of pulpit, doctrine, Elder mix, and worship styles. Since we were very new to Abilene when we placed membership -relationships came as a result of our decision to join - not because of it.

Now for this post- take another look at verse 44 in ACTS 2:
"All the believers were together and had everything in common."

Everything? Really? Wow...I would like that church too! Maybe that's why so many come but don't stay...not enough commonality?

Thanks for giving me something to chew on while sitting in that deer blind Saturday morning!
 
I really have to agree with Troy on the "lifers." I would say that's why we choose SHCC over the others here in Abilene. We stayed and built relationships.

I plead with God to never have to choose another....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?