Tuesday, January 02, 2007

 

If I were a rich man...

This past week I finished up our annual state of the Ridgell finances. You know the drill. It is the document that lists all the retirement accounts, checking accounts, debts, etc. In theory it is to facilitate the financial responsibilities should we die this year. It is not morbid, but I think it is prudent. However, it always leads to that great game - what would we do if we were rich?

Oddly enough, we know what we would do. We would buy a bigger house so there is more room for family, friends, showers, etc. We would bank enough to live at about the same salary level we are at now. That would let us spend our time doing ministry, family, and service without having to worry about support or jobs. If we still had money left, we would probably want to have land. It would be nice to keep Marsha's family farm and I sure would like to have a few acres for hunting and fishing.

And you know what? This discussion always ends with us realizing we are rich. We own a house that somehow accomodates all the people that show up. We have managed to be pretty much debt free and do lots of ministry, family, and service. And at least for now, the family farm is still in the family. I even have a really close friend who lets me hunt and fish on his place.

Then we talk about the places I go for Herald of Truth. We end up thanking God for the blessings He pours down on us. You see, we are richer than 90% of this world. So the discussion ends with analysis of the kind of stewards we want to be.

We have way more than we deserve. In fact, we probably have more than we even need. So thanks God for our daily bread. This year I'll remember that all I have is really yours. And whatever you give us we will try to use wisely.

How about you?

Comments:
Money...ugh! It's funny how something we deem so important is so NOT important in the grand scheme of things. We try to constantly remind ourselves how blessed we are...children being at the top of that list, and my upcoming 5-year-cancer-free day (January 23!). Nathaniel and I laugh and joke that we don't fight about money because there isn't any to fight about!

God is good...ALL the time!
 
It's so true that this time of year is full of materialistic pull -- we spend hours in stores surrounded by the latest and greatest, then are inundated with ads to buy whatever our hearts desire after Christmas!

But then we start looking at our financial info ... God really takes care of us! We are so immensely blessed. I believe my desire for "things" will be a lifelong struggle for me to remember that there really isn't anything on this earth that I can buy that will complete me, make me happy, and certainly not save my soul.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?