Tuesday, February 13, 2007

 

I drank coffee this morning...

I have gone most of my life without drinking it. I survived college without it. I can get up early and hunt without it. I can even survive late night elder's meetings without it. I have never been exited about paying more for a cup of it than I do for my lunch. For thirty three years we have used the avacado green coffee pot we got for a wedding gift. My folks always had to make it when they came. My kids don't get coffee when they visit. Our small group doesn't get coffee at our house. And it's not that we think it is bad. Marsha starts her morning with Diet Dr. Pepper most mornings. I don't guess that is worse than coffee.

But something is changing. I started drinking coffee when I travel overseas. Sometimes it is all that is available (at least that I recognize), and I figure since it is hot many of the germs must be dead. And I noticed at a couple of breakfast meetings it was easier just to have coffee. Then we bought a coffee maker for our Christmas present to each other. My folks are happy, my kids are happy, small group is happy (even Phil and Tim because Marsha still has Diet Dr. Pepper). My HoT ministry team is happy. But we have a problem. You don't just drink coffee. Marsha doctors it up till it looks like pale brown and I drink it without anything. But we can't figure out what to buy. Or order. Or mix. Some of her teacher friends are bringing her recipies for coffee.

So here's the question. What should we try? What are some of your favorites? Can you put Diet Coke, Diet Root Beer, or Diet Dr. Pepper in coffee? We need help. What do you think?

Comments:
There's a great blend at H-E-B called "Taste of Abilene" -- we can't quite figure out what all the flavors are, but it is really good. And not too strong. My parents even keep me stocked at my house in Dallas so we'll have it when they come to visit!
 
Nathaniel LOVES a packet of hot cocoa in his coffee (and he insists that the Wal-mart store brand is the best!)! As for me, I enjoy the coconut creamer...a sweet treat!
 
Coffeemate makes great sugar free creamer for those of us watching our weight. Hazelnut is by far my favorite. Marsha - I like my shade of brown just a little lighter than yours. Acutally I just like a little coffee with my cream!
 
Steve, if you started drinking coffee when on the 'dark continent' then you most likely will not like what you find in American stores- it's too weak! I love coffee served in South Africa-it is most wonderfully strong. I also like the coffee from Brazil- with a dash of chickory- also what you find in downtown New Orleans.

I'm with Jenni- "Taste of Abilene" is pretty good. Another favorite you can find is "Snickerdoodle". It's a nice blend of robust and mild with a hint of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg overtones.

-Troy
 
This cracks me up -- and is like my blog: no one will touch instrumental music with a 10-foot pole, but ask 'em about coffee? They're all about it!

Taste of Abilene, lotsa cream of various yummy flavors, heaps of Splenda. No, my coffee doesn't closely resemble coffee, either.
 
Well, I only keep the coffee pot at my house for when my parents come (and they bring their own coffee!). My husband and I don't drink coffee and neither do his parents. I'm not much help, but I've heard that Taste of Abilene is good. :-)
 
Yep, I gotta comment. Taste of Hill Country is good, too and it costs less (I'm that cheap.)

If you want strong, go to Tuscany's and get some of that foreign coffee. They sell it whole bean. But if you like it tasty (like me) always get the Latte. Add a syrup. Make it a non-fat (steamed milk doesn't taste any different.)

Coffee - good for what ails ya :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?