Monday, March 12, 2007

 

Save our young people...

I can still remember the discussions about losing our young people. Church wasn't connecting, young people were leaving the church, we were just not relevent. We needed new and different, even radical, ideas. That was forty years ago and I was one of the young people. And our church was one of the very first to come up with the answer: full-time youth ministers. It wasn't long before every church had one. I even spent several years working as a full-time youth minister.

Of course, I still am in discussions about losing our young people. Everyone worries that we are not connecting with our young people, that they are leaving the church, and that we are just not relevent. So someone will come up with the next answer: cluster models, instrumental services, interactive worship.

And forty years from now you will be having the same discussion. I wonder if some of our young people don't really develop faith and that's why they end up leaving. They were never really with us to begin with. So we better get better youth ministers, or better programs, or more appealling worship, or whatever other answers we can find.

After all, I wouldn't want someone to think that maybe it was my responsibility as a parent to give my child faith. Maybe the key is not what happens at church or in the youth program...but what happens in the home. In fact, if the emphasis on professional youth ministry actually took the responsibility away from parents then our "answer" may have just compounded the problem.

So here is my question: what made some of you stay faithful?

Comments:
Good topic...
I would say that for me it was a combination of being taught faith at home and faithful friends who also got faith taught in their homes. I think these two were the biggest factors.
Just as bad company corrupts, good company strengthens faith.
 
This is a worthy topic, and one that needs continual, thought provoking consideration.

For me, it was having a very strong core at home- I entered the Youth Group years at the time of the transition. None other than Robert O. himself, was my first experience at YM's. That said, it was a GREAT change for our church, for my buddies and for our eldership.

However, EVERYONE knew that this shift didn't occur because of any lack of leadership and guidance at home- something I'm afraid the vast majority of parents aren't willing to admit to in today's church environment. I've seen it first hand, the kid commits some major error and we immediately ask, "Where was the Youth Minister?"

Folks, its not up to our YM's to look out for our kids. They are role models for sure, but they are ASSISTANT role models to our primary leadership and role modeling at home.

The sooner we take ownership of this fact, the more committed our Youth will be in the world for Him!

My two cents,

-TMS
 
I came from a small church that saw NO NEED for a YM, or youth activites. Sunday morning and Wednesday night classes were enough, and they better not be fun. The only branching out from that was Bible Bowl, which was crammed down our throats, literally, and was a miserable experience. My parents were the foundation of my spiritual growth. That, and my freshman year at a junior college when I started attending another congregation with a program for youth/young adults. I can say without a doubt I would have made some really poor choices had it not been for that positive influence at that time in my life.

Looking back, I am so thankful for the strong foundation that my parents (especially my mother) instilled in me.

I can't imagine life without the Lord...where is hope? There have been times when that is what has kept me clinging to the Father...that hope that only He provides!

I think I might should tell my parents a big Thanks! And thanks for this topic...it is always good to remind ourselves exactly why we believe and stay faithful...it brings about a renewed commitment!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?