Tuesday, April 10, 2007

 

Thinking about life...

My father-in-law is going to have bypass surgery either Wednesday night or Thursday morning. In taking him back and forth to the Doctor and staying in the hospital, I have had lots of time to watch and listen as he faces this. And I've learned a few things about life.

...Grandpa and Granny have been married for 62 years. When she comes to his hospital room early in the morning they kiss, she smooths his blanket, and helps him with his breakfast. He doesn't need the help, she just wants to do something for him. All of our young people ought to see that.

...He isn't afraid to die. He does want to live because he wants to take care of "mother". He knows that we will take care of her, but he wants to. Life always ought to have purpose and that purpose should never be about us.

...He tells everyone in the hospital about his God, his family, and his church. Great sermon from a guy who would never get in a pulpit.

...I continue to be struck by the bond between my mother-in-law, my wife, and my daughter. In many ways they are three peas in a pod. They are what family should be. Julie is now expecting and I think her little girl Avery will be just like them. That is really comforting to know the incredible web of love she will be born into.

...I marvel at how much a son I am to him and not an in-law. That's how families ought to be, and reminds me that is how God treats me also.

...He keeps saying everthing will be fine, and he means it. Whatever happens.

We all really need to pay attention to the heros of faith we get to share life with. There are lots of them out there and they have lots to teach us.

Comments:
He is truly a hero! Praying for you all.
 
So......how did the surgery turn out?
We've been thinking a praying about this!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?