Wednesday, July 11, 2007

 

The Pope is at least honest...

I admire the Pope's honesty, even if I disagree with his theology. The Pope has admitted what Catholic theology has always maintained: they are the only true church. I admire his honesty. He is being true to his theology. He will not be popular. He will be attacked for being exclusive. He will be reviled for not promoting Christian unity. But he won't care. He is being true to Catholic theology.

I disagree with that theology. I do not believe Catholic theology will stand up to Biblical theology. I do not believe in Papal infallibility. I do not believe in original sin, nor in infant baptism. I do not believe I need someone other than Jesus to have a relationship with God. But I admire lots of religious people who I think have wrong theology.

I wonder if we ever wrestle with our theology versus popularity. I don't like it when people think I am exclusive or "anti-unity". I believe Jesus is the only way to God. That cuts me out of some circles. I believe baptism is how you are crucified with Christ. I believe that is when you receive the Holy Spirit. Some think I am narrow minded about that.

That's OK. No one else even has to agree with me. And God can certainly save anyone He chooses. That is His business, not mine. But as best I can tell from what God said...baptism is the way into Christ. I believe I am faithful when I preach that and when I teach it. That is what matters to me. After all, I value God's view of me much more than that of any person.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?