Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 

Taking things to the extreme...

It is amazing to me how many bad things evolve out of good intentions. You know what I mean. Have you ever started on a remodeling project and ended up in a mess, over budget, and ready for divorce? How about a desire to lose weight that descends into bulimia? We do it in church also. Have you ever wondered why we fight so much about doctrine and the meaning of various passages?

I think it is because we care so much about what God says. After all, why fight about something that doesn't matter. But if you have a real conviction that the Bible is the word of God, you are going to be more intense about what it says. You don't see debates over God's Word in churches that do not place high value on Scripture.

But that view can push doctrines to the extreme. When I was young I remember a group of preachers who vehemently argued that the Holy Spirit worked only thru the word, the Bible. Talk about extreme (and not consistent with Scripture). It was, however, a view rooted in the importance of Scripture.

I have a high view of Scripture. I believe it is the Word of God. So sometimes I get pretty intense talking about what it says and/or means. I appreciate my church heritage that put such emphasis on knowing the Word of God. I hope my kids and grandkids keep that same appreciation.

I just don't want to take a good, healthy commitment to such an extreme that I let the Bible become the Word of God as correctly interpreted by Steve (or any preacher that agrees with Steve). I want to be clear where it is clear, open to study and discussion where it is not so clear, and have wisdom to know the difference.

Comments:
Just as it is always a great idea to view the scriptures as 'living', I think too often that we as Christians should view our 'take' on a particular passage as a snapshot in time where our understanding is concerned. As people, we evolve and we understand in deeper and meaningful ways as we grow older and have time to thoroughly examine something. Some scriptures I thought I fully understood at the tender age of 18 I have a different viewpoint on now that I'm 38. It may very well be that the view I have today won't be the identical view I have at age 68.

Something to think about...and remember when making an argument for a particular viewpoint.

-TMS
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?