Tuesday, July 03, 2007

 

Worship Performance...

I have had several conversations recently about "performance" in worship. The conversation is usually a reaction to something seen in worship from the leader or the praise team. Or it is a reaction to a criticism. So here are my quick reactions...

How do you tell the difference between personality and performance? Should people "tone down" their personality so it doesn't seem like a performance? Or, should they "ramp it up" so we don't die of boredom?

Is it judgmental to view someone leading worship as a performer? Am I that sure I know their heart?

Different congregations or audiences have different personalities.

I have always known song leaders who seemed to be performing. I have heard prayers that sure seemed like a performance. I know lots of preachers who perform? Or maybe I am too judgmental.

As someone who has had lots of experience leading worship in lots of different ways. It ain't as easy as it looks. Maybe none of us should criticize until we have led the same group as the one we want to criticize. You try singing on the praise team and see how easy it is.

And the bigger the congregation or assembly, the tougher it is to hit the mark for everyone.

If I like it, it is meaningful worship. If I don't, it was a performance. Surely none of us are really that shallow, are we?

By the way, my personal test is the mirror test. If I can look in the mirror and feel good about why I did what I did...then OK.

God is the ultimate audience for our worship, and He sure knows the heart.

Comments:
As someone who is judged sometimes as a performer/worshipper, it is sometimes hard to worship. I find that instead of worshipping as Anne, I am trying to make sure I am not raising my hands too much, or not enough. That I am not closing my eyes too much or not enough...moving too much, or not enough...you get the idea. I am convicted to seek God, and let the rest take care of itself. I want to invite the Holy Spirit to lead me as I worship, and to constantly seek the throne. I want to be Anne, daughter of the King, worshipping Him with all that I have, no matter what everyone else thinks.
 
I have to agree with Anne - it's harder to be in front of everyone sometimes. It's a constant struggle between the heart and the outward appearences.

I love your mirror test - that's basically what I use, too. I have to allow the Holy Spirit to be in my worship no matter where I'm standing/sitting in the assembly.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?