Tuesday, September 11, 2007

 

Thoughts on a birthday...

I think it must be because I am getting older (56), or maybe because I look lots older, but I have had more people this year ask me about my birthday, growing older, or aging. So let me share a few thoughts about adding another year to my ledger.

...I just don't think about age. Even tho some of my friends had mentioned it yesterday, I still managed to forget it was my b'day till Marsha reminded me. I just don't see the benefit of pondering the difference of adding a year. In fact, odds are that this year I will tell someone I am 55, or 57. I just don't think it matters.

...I really do think age is a state of mind. I am aware that over 60% of my life or more may be in the past. Yet I still am excited about the Lord will do in my life and ministry. I don't envision a time when I slow down.

...I am, however, more conscious to value the special relationships in my life - and to let them know that I value them.

... I am more conscious to prioritize things now. I focus on putting time in on the things and people that matter.

... There is a great advantage to looking as old as I do (and I have looked this way for a long time). When you look old early, you don't have to worry about looking older with each passing year. In fact, every year you look better for your age. In another ten years I will look my age and in another twenty I'll look good for my age, and in another thirty I'll look young for my age.

... Today reminds me to live in the moment, to seize the opportunities God places before me, and embrace the joy of the Lord. I don't waste time on the past and God controls the future.

... I am glad that growing older has let me become a better son, husband, father, "pops", and friend.

... I am conscious today that I have earned every wrinkle. It is not the age - it is the mileage. And I have learned much from the journey. A life spent loving Jesus, battling Satan, and telling others the good news of salvation has helped me know how to lead others as a shepherd.

Finally, this is a great day. God has blessed me beyond measure, Mimi still loves me, my children are faithful, my grandkids are a joy, my parents (both sets) are still role models, and I have more really good friends than anyone I know.

Thanks God and whatever years are left I gladly give to you.

Comments:
Happy Late Birthday!
 
You may look old. But, you have a fantastic haircut.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?