Wednesday, September 05, 2007

 

What about re-baptism...

A couple of you asked me about re-baptism after the blogs of a few weeks ago. So let me share a few of my thoughts.

First of all, I question the use of the term "re-baptize". I know what is meant by it, but that is like saying "re-die". A person either died with Jesus or he did not. If not, then all that happened was that someone got wet all over. So what would make someone want to be baptized when they went thru the process once before?

The most common reason I hear is they didn't really commit the first time. If that is truly the case, then certainly be baptized. It really is a response of faith and commitment. It may be that you remember doing it just because your parents, or a preacher, pushed you into it. It may be that you did it just because it was the thing to do and you really did not even think about it.

However, do not confuse guilt with lack of commitment. I sometimes talk to people who have engaged in a lifestyle that was not compatible with their Christian commitment. The guilt is sometimes so intense they want to start over from scratch and do it right. Perhaps what is really needed is a lesson on grace and forgiveness. When I was baptized into Christ, it put me into a relationship. Sin, struggles, and weakness do not invalidate the relationship.

I also encourage people not to confuse spiritual growth with a lack of commitment. Often those of us baptized at a younger age look back and think we had no clue about what it meant to die with Christ. I certainly understood more at 20 than 10. I had a much better understanding at 30 about what Jesus wanted and by 40 I realized how little I really knew about Jesus. At 50, I began to have a clue and I hope by 60 I can begin getting a handle on it. By 70 I am sure I will start to really understand and by 80 may know how to live the way I want to. By 90 I probably will have gone home. I know I'll get it then. But I am not going to be baptized every decade as I grow and mature.

I clearly remember being on fire and totally committed to Jesus the day I gave my life to him. Did I really know what was ahead? Of course not. But that decision has been the most consistent truth in my life...even when I was not consistent in following it.

By the way, I do "re-baptize" those who ask. We discuss some of these ideas and then I do what they feel appropriate. After all, it is between them and God.

So what has been your experience with this subject? Either personally or in spiritual counseling with others.

Comments:
I don't think God minds. Even if it aint necessary, it may be what somebody needs to get their head straight.

Steve, I have heard you talk about baptizing your dog and him still not being a Christian. I can see how some folks might act just like your dog, eager to please but not committed to Christ.
 
Personally, I've never understood the reasoning of those who wish to undergo this decision. Like you, I suspect that guilt is the motivating factor- and if that is the case, then the follow up 'baptism' will in all likelihood not 'take', either. If all it takes is a couple of bad choices to negate the initial baptism, chances are you are going to negate any follow up action when you fall again. Baptism was never intended to be the "end-all" of our screw-ups in life, it was intended to frame our life in such a way that every decision we made after the fact came as a result of this action.

I'm of the school that if you were dunked once, you made your public confession, you acknowledged the Holy Spirit and initiated that enduring relationship- there really is no further reason to get wet- unless you are going for a swim.

I don't fault those or judge those who do follow through on this subject, but I always wonder what the true motivation is behind it. My guess is, it's earthly- not Spiritual.
 
I agree that being re-baptized is not necessary for those who truly committed themselves to Christ in the first place. Peter desired for Jesus to wash him all over. Jesus told Peter that the clean need only to have their feet washed. (That's another story- but sort of fits here) But I have known of individuals wanting to be re-baptized to show publicly that they had returned to a righteous way of living.

Still others have sought a 2nd dip as a reassurance to themselves, because they had been given conflicting answers regarding the practice.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?