Thursday, October 04, 2007

 

I can't take it any more...

I grew up hearing some clear teaching on instrumental music that just did not make sense to me. I am sure I did not always hear clearly and maybe I made assumptions that were not really taught, but here are some things that seemed to be taught:

The right position on music in worship was clear and not in doubt (even when I could agree with the final opinion I could never see it quite as clear as others)

You could recognize a true church by their music practice in worship (even tho that is not what Jesus said)

People who did not see it the right way were not as spiritual, Biblical, or enlightened (how self righteous)

It was important to our outreach to be correct on this matter (tho I really didn't think people in the world were going to have their lives changed by this)

There were people who actually looked down on those who were wrong about this (and even talked badly about them)

There were people who threatened to leave if their church did not practice the way they believed on this (and some did)

I sometimes even wondered if there was almost hatred for those who didn't see it our way (at least it sure was hard to see any love and respect)

AND I SAID I WOULD NEVER GET INVOLVED IN THAT KIND OF MESS AGAIN.

But 40 something years later I hear the exact same things. Nothing seems to have changed.

Except... growing up these positions and attitudes were often held by non-instrumental brothers. Now they are often held by instrumental brothers. Same attitude and same arrogance. Then I seemed to be branded a liberal heretic who was going to lead the church astray. Now I am seen as conservative stick in the mud who is chaining the church to the past. And I believe just like I did before.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comments:
I am an accapella man because I like to sing that way. I like how it sounds. I like the participation dynamic.

If anybody else feels differently, good for you! There is room in the kingdom for all kinds of music.

Rant over.
 
I think the temptation to be arrogant about our belief/ tradition is strong, as we strive to convince ourselves that our way is godly and right, so the other way MUST be ungodly and/or wrong.

I believe the Lord created and sanctified chocolate AND vanilla, peanut butter AND jelly, and whichever I choose He's okay with -- as long as I glorify Him in my choice. I'm sure some people -- perhaps even within my physical family -- will wish to have me disfellowshipped for comparing worship styles to flavors of ice cream or sandwich spreads, but I think the Lord wants us to put those things aside, glorify Him, and plant seeds that will allow Him to save souls!
 
I am discovering more and more that it is easy to get tunnel vision in these sorts of things. We think we are fighting a church of Christ fight, but it is becoming apparent that the zeitgeist just might be involved more than we think.

I had read your post earlier this morning so it was on my mind. Then just now I ran across a parody/satire site with a Calvinist flavor. I haven't looked over it very thoroughly, but the little I saw really struck me. It is speaking about the very same attitudes and most basic general conflicts that I see on church of Christ blogs. Of course, the specific conflicts differ. But how can two groups that rarely have contact with each other be fighting the same fights? I find it very interesting.

This is the site:
http://www.oldtruth.com/QQ0532CRaM.cfm
 
Ridg...I feel your pain; and have experienced some rather narrow-minded views by 'both sides' of the issue. Seems I remember scriptures about those w/o fault...and I still don't think we'll be the only ones in Heaven...but that's another story all together for the ages (past!)
Blessings,
DJ's dad!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?