Tuesday, November 06, 2007

 

Spiritual Warfare

We are in the middle of a four week series during HIP on Spiritual Warfare. It has been powerful, frightening, inspiring, and motivational. Since the first week of the series we have been busy almost every night with people who are in the midst of battling for their very lives and souls. I am more convinced than ever that Satan wants to destroy us and everyone that we love. And I am just as convinced that Jesus died so that Satan could not destroy us. Spiritual warfare shows itself in many ways. Just this week I have seen the following:

...a woman crying because her maternity leave is over and she had to leave her children with the baby sitter while she went back to work.

... a young man devastated that his fiance called off their wedding because she wasn't attracted to him.

...a Christian husband who stopped a relationship before it became physical, but doesn't know how to stop the feelings.

... a Christian woman desperate to end an affair.

... a lady who had to schedule a biopsy for a suspicious lump in her breast.

... a man whose father just went back into the hospital.

... a recovering addict who just got a new job-- where he is working on a crew with addicts.

... a family who "just doesn't get anything out of church".

... two people depressed over how much they weigh.

... a person too tired to make love to their mate.

... a new Christian whose divorce just became final.

Well, you begin to see the picture. All of these are different, but they are all ways or opportunities for Satan to wage war on us.

I pray God's blessings on my friends above and on the countless others that I do not know about.

So what are some of the ways you see Satan lurking?

Comments:
Steve Ridgell is a great guy, great friend, and servant of the Lord! I know this is probably not the comment that you were expecting, but I just found your blog online.

I am currently dealing with three families in our church that Satan is actively attacking. Satan is working hard to destroy the trust and accountability between these children of God. I am constantly amazed when I listen to their stories of how Satan is attacking their thoughts, their emotions, and their hearts.

It is clear to me that Satan is active, very active. It is equally clear to me that people desparately need the love and grace of Christ; to be renewed day by day, and to feel his power and presence in their lives.

I will gladly join with you in praying agaisnt the work of Satan in the lives of the people of this world.
 
Steve,

I am so glad you are back in full-time God service! Even though I know you did good work for him while you were a phone book guy or whatever, this is where I see your giftedness--dealing with real people where they really live.

Just so you know, I'm forever a big Ridgell fan!
Peace,
Karen Cukrowski
 
Boy, talk about old home week. For "journeyman", I hear good things coming out of Kaufman. You have a great ministry team. Let's keep fighting the battle ourselves and helping others. Let me hear from you sometime.

Karen, thanks for the words. You are partly responsible for my move back into full-time ministry because of our discussions about my writing. And I am still working on a couple of books. We'll see what God does with them. I am a Karen and Ken fan forever too.
 
Okay, well, you know I love you, but back to the question at hand. I, too, see Satan attacking families and marriages viciously, but I see him (notice him? catch him? something...) inside my thoughts more and more all the time.

For my upcoming talk, I asked a small sampling of friends to tell me about "strongholds" -- from 2 Cor. 10:4: anything that sets itself up against the knowledge of God. In this case, I was talking specifically about the lies of Satan that he CONSTANTLY bombards us with. Man, women have bought the media (and Satan's) sales pitch that we have to do it all and be it all and we'll still never be ENOUGH. I see Satan attacking us in our trust in God -- specifically about whether or not He can or will use us in His kingdom. I also think Satan has plenty of help -- in our own churches. We measure "good" and "bad" by degree, not by the Holy of Holies.

I see Satan lots of places -- I see God more, and bigger, but I've had to train my eyes and ears to see Him and hear Him over the roar of Satan and the world.
 
In "Seeing the Unseen" Joe Beam talked about satanic footholds that we make. We leave big gaps in our defense and Evil often runs right up the middle on us.

Claudia and I are weakened not only by bad decisions and sins but also things we did not ask for. Satan also takes advantage of illness and weaknesses not related to character.

I can tell you for certain that I see Evil at work in the lives of folks in autism families.

Satan takes advantage of any weakness we have. We can never get too comfortable or we will get creamed.

Holiness is just as important today as it was 2000 years ago.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?