Thursday, January 24, 2008

 

More on salvation issues...

One of the regular readers of this blog asked me a great question last night: isn't it up to God to decide salvation issues. Of course it is up to God. And he certainly can save anyone He chooses. Nor does he need my approval. That is fine to say in theory, but I still have to decide what I believe is the "good news" I preach to a lost and dying world. For me, that good news is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. I do not believe that doctrine or theology on worship, church organization, or even Christian living is part of the message of good news. These are things a new disciple learns to be like Jesus, but they are not things he must "get right" to be saved.

So why did I mention baptism as a "salvation" issue. Because a seeker must know how to respond to the good news. The lost must be saved, the dead must find life, and the person outside of Jesus must come and die with him. So do I really believe baptism is a salvation issue? How else would the lost be saved if they do not claim the grace of God and make Jesus Lord of their life? Baptism is an act of good news. It is where we share in the gospel with Jesus. It is not an act, a step, or a process. It is a death, a burial, and a resurrection to new life.

That is my conviction as to what God would have me teach a non Christian to be saved. Jesus died and was raised. If we believe it, then we are crucified and raised with him thru baptism. That's it. I believe that is the message of good news.

So why did I mention the Lord's Supper as a salvation issue in my last post? Good question. I'll explain my thinking on that in my next blog.

Meanwhile, there is a lost and dying world that needs to hear the good news of Jesus. Correct worship, living right, or being correct in your theology... these are not the good news. Jesus is.

Feel free to sharpen my thinking, or to share with us how you share this message with our world.

Comments:
Steve-

Man, I know I asked you to "write more - and often", but dang, you hit a nerve with this one! ;-)

I fully agree with your opening paragraph and then this quote near the end caught my eye- and my heart:

"Correct worship, living right, or being correct in your theology... these are not the good news. Jesus is."

Wow- that pretty much sums up the position of those who stand in the way of evangelism where "church" is concerned. Admittedly, I was a stalwart part of the problem in my younger days. I liked my legalistic upbringing and my rigid textual interpretations more than embracing HIS teachings, truth and heart. Somehow, for many of us, it's comforting to feel that we are "right" or that we "have all the answers" when it comes to how church/worship/fellowship/service is concerned. These are activities that bring us closer to the real salvation issue that counts- not the salvation issues themselves. How we conduct ourselves within these activities speaks volumes about who we are and how we treat the inheritance that is surely given for all...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?