Tuesday, January 29, 2008

 

Salvation issues and the Lord's Supper...

I have really appreciated the comments (written and verbal) concerning the last few posts. I did want to briefly explore the idea of the Lord's Supper as a salvation issue. I do admit that I am still working and thinking thru some of this myself, so I certainly welcome comments and correction. And this does grow out of my conviction that salvation issues must be rooted in and clearly connected to the gospel: that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and was raised on the third day.

There is clear teaching on salvation, gospel, and the Lord's Supper. I Corinthians 11:27ff teaches that to partake in an unworthy manner is sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.

I wonder about the application of Hebrews 6:4ff concerning those who fall away and so crucify the Son of God again. Would this relate to someone who will not/does not participate regularly in taking the body and blood of Jesus?

It seems to me that these are not matters of fellowship where I am able to make decisions concerning my brothers and sisters. The I Corinthian passage in particular involves judgments I would not be able to make about anyone other than myself.

So at this point, I lean toward baptism and Lord's Supper as salvation issues. They are both directly linked to our participation in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. They are also the two visible responses to that gospel that we can do.

So.... your thoughts?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?