Tuesday, January 22, 2008

 

Salvation Issues

I have stated many times, including on this blog, that I do not consider some issues to be matters of salvation. In a recent discussion of instrumental music, I was asked the reasoning behind that statement. I thought that was a good question and valuable to help us frame our thinking on lots of other issues. When we define something as a salvation issue, we are stating that one must be right be right in theology or practice of that issue or they will not be saved.

My salvation issues are only those things that are gospel. Read I Corinthians 15:1-4 where Paul says the gospel is what he preaches, they received, on which they take their stand, and by which they are saved. He says it is of first importance. Gospel is a salvation issue. It is the only salvation issue. It is more important than anything else.

But doesn't the issue become what we define as gospel? This same passage identifies gospel: Jesus died for our sins, he was buried, and he was raised on the third day. If the issue in question does not directly tie to gospel, it cannot be a salvation issue. I can link baptism directly to gospel: we are baptized into the death of Christ, we are buried, we are raised to new life. I can tie the Lord's Supper to gospel. However, I cannot find any way to link instrumental music to the gospel.

Some of the issues we wrestle with may be important, there may be sound reasons (or not) to believe in or practice certain things. But if they do not tie directly to the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus... then I am not willing to bind something as a matter of salvation that God did not bind.

So, what do you think?

Comments:
Theology AND practice? If it is theology and practice aren't we doing communion wrong. I know we can tie communion to the death, burial, and resurrection to Christ but aren't there too many variables in the way it is practiced today v. 1st century (with clear contradictions/distinctions in scripture) to say that we have to get the practice right to be saved. If so, shouldn't we start sharing a meal together and bringing out the wine. If how we did communion was a salvation issue, don't you think God/Jesus would have made it clear to us how, when, and where it should happen. And when I say clear, I don't mean clear through example and inference (whether necessary or not). I mean clear by command and instruction.

Joe Don
 
Joe Don,

You actually anticipated part of where I am going in the next post. In that one I am going to talk about matters of fellowship. I think Lord's Supper is in some sense a salvation matter. I would have difficulty acknowledging someone as a brother who did not believe in or practice the Lord's Supper. But the hows and whys are not spelled out clearly enough to make the practice a test of fellowship: when, how, procedure, etc. My logic may be totally unclear, but one reason I do this is to clarify my thinking, so thanks for the input. Besides, you have always been a better thinker and theologian than I am.
 
You boys are making my head hurt.
Here's what I think about all of it: Philippians 2:12,13: 12Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

They had always obeyed and need to CONTINUE to work out their salvation? Makes me think of a John York quote, "Salvation is less a moment in time, but a transformation of your life."

All that to say -- if I stay busy enough working out my own salvation with fear and trembling, I don't have time to finger-point at you about your salvation. I'm too busy listening to the Lord's instructions and leadings. And there are precious few things left to argue about that I would say are a 'salvation issue' for every person on the planet. But if you believe it to be a salvation issue for you, I will respect that and try to minister to you by doing all that I can to honor that with you.

Maybe I'm just too much 'flower-child'. Let's just all hold hands. :-)
 
Sarah,

You reminded me of something I heard from Tim Archer, who I think stole it from someone else. The older I get the less things I think are core, but the more convicted I am about those few.

You too are a better thinker, and writer, than I am.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?