Tuesday, February 19, 2008

 

For dog lovers only...

If you are not a dog lover, you will not understand this. So do not bother reading further unless you get the whole "they really are family" connection with dogs.

The Ridgells are grieving today, especially Marsha and Julie. Yesterday we had to put Jaxon, our Shih Tzu, to sleep. He has had kidney disease for several months, but a few days ago he quit eating, and we had to make the decision to spare any more suffering.

He was actually Julie's dog and during one of her moves several years ago we inherited him. Just like Remington, our golden retriever, was a Joe Don legacy. Jaxon had a special place in my heart because he was actually a dog, not a pampered psuedo dog. He stayed outside during the day, was fiercely protective of his family, and kept Mimi company during all my travels.

When Julie was living by herself, an intruder tried to get in her bedroom window. Jax went nuts barking and ran the bad guy off. He would torment Rem to play and when the big dog had enough, he would pin Jaxon with his paw till we rescued him.

So even Remington is a little off balance. He misses his little buddy. I also know I better get ready because it will be very tough on me when Rem passes.

And before you ask, yes we buried Jaxon, he has a marker, and we prayed over him. And yes, I think Romans 8 and creation waiting to be liberated might be a way to think dogs can be in heaven. And if not, God will still have taken care of them... and us.

So what do you think? Are we crazy, or are your pets family too?

So, Jaxon, thanks for joy, love, and laughter for the past 12 years.

You loved us and we loved you.

Comments:
Troy is already picking out a spot in the backyard big enough for me and our aging lab for when she goes -- I just can't even imagine. I spoil her shamelessly -- but no one else in my family acts that happy to see me every day, and no one else in my family REMAINS happy to see me when I am in a horrible mood. Of course, no one else in my family strews the trash all over the floor like she did this morning, either. But she's my guard dog when Troy travels -- just don't make her go outside if it's raining! :-)

I'm very sorry for all of you missing Jaxon.
 
The great dog list:

Rin Tin Tin
Old Yeller
Lassie
Benji
Penny (my childhood pooch)
and now...
Jaxson

Hang in there, friend.
 
Troy and Sarah,

Unconditional love is pretty cool. Hey Troy, is the Lab not on this list? What's up with that?
 
Ha- the Lab hasn't earned her spot- yet!

;-)
 
I am very sorry for the loss of Jaxon. It is very hard to loose a pet. Our family has an entire cemetery at my mom's just for all those that we have lost. Our dog is 18 and it will be very hard when we loose her. She has protected us all those years, even if it was just from the postman.
 
God made dogs the way he did for a reason.

Their short lives are meant to teach our children about death and grief. That goes double for jogging the memories of the adults.

Their forgiving nature is a big lesson for us to notice.

There are no other beast that people can love this way. There is no other beast that will love people like a dog will.

I cringe when DINKs call their dogs their children. But, I know just what you mean when you say they are part of the family.

So, on a brighter note, is it time for a puppy?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?