Friday, March 28, 2008

 

Andrew and Pops

I got to hold my four month old grandson the other day and he got to cooing at me. It must have gone on for five minutes when I heard his mom Jamie say, "He is going to be a talker just like Pops". It was funny and we all laughed, but I thought about it later. Grandkids and kids really do reflect us in many ways. There are so many things from Marsha that I see in Julie. And every time Bobby mows the yard, little Jake follows right behind with his toy mower. So I started thinking about what I want people to "get" from me.

I want my grandkids to get how much I love the Lord and love people.

I want some of you couples to get how happy Mimi and I are. You can be too.

I want to model good shepherding skills for those of you who will be elders someday.

I want my kids, and others, to learn from us how to go thru the stages of life (getting older) with energy, enthusiasm, grace, and dignity. I think we are learning that from our own parents even now.

Laugh lots, love much, and remember that God has always been God, he is God, and he will always be God.

Comments:
"...a talker like Pops." I never noticed that before (lol).

You, Marsha and your entire family are great examples. Thank you for loving my family like you do!
 
It really frightens me to see myself reflected in my children, but God's grace covers that, too, I suppose!

A few years ago, the kids and I were talking about a few (young) kids we knew who had lost parents and how sad/ hard that would be. I took the opportunity to say, "If anything EVER happens to me, the thing that I want most for you in life is to love God with every ounce of your heart, and to marry Christians." One of them said ever-so-matter-of-factly: "I knew you were going to say that." GOOD! Then I have done my job!

Aging with dignity... I don't think I'm on board for that! :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?