Wednesday, April 02, 2008

 

Church of Christ Heritage...

Since I seem to have many discussions about what we as a fellowship have done wrong, or right, I thought I would share some of my thoughts and opinions about this subject over the next few weeks.

First, let me say that I was raised in the church of Christ. I grew up under the preaching of Hulen Jackson - one of the most well known local preachers of the 60's and 70's. My dad served for years as a deacon and then for several years as an elder. I graduated from ACU with a degree in Bible and a Masters in Restoration History. I worked in full time ministry in churches of Christ for many years, and now serve as elder at Southern Hills. I work at the Herald of Truth. For years I have talked to church of Christ college students about their heritage, their spiritual journeys, and how they see the future. So I think I have some basis for the opinions I hold about the strength and weakness of our fellowship.

I am not a pessimist concerning the church. I think many of the issues we struggle with, whether doctrinal or practical, are not going to determine whether we survive as a fellowship. I think God will determine that. I am not worried if the church of Christ as we know it today does not last for another twenty years. The church of Christ as God knows it will certainly survive, and thrive, until Jesus comes again.

I think we have gotten some things right. In fact, much of evangelical Christianity is coming to embrace some doctrinal issues we have always maintained. I am not sure that is due to our influence. I think it may be more due to the fact that these positions are Biblical and right.

I think we have gotten some things badly wrong. Some of these are so ingrained that they threaten our existence in our current form.

So, I'll share some of these over the next few weeks. Feel free to go ahead and start your own list. We'll see if they match.

Comments:
Consider the can opened...

"INSTRUMENTS IN WORSHIP"

This is the "biggie" in the Church right now- though I'm confident that its priority has been overly inflated by the brotherhood as a whole.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?