Monday, April 28, 2008

 

So how can I support a building project...

In my last post I shared my reservations about our building project. Yet I stood with the other elders and endorsed our decision to proceed with the entire project at one time, financing it with a combination of gifts, pledges, bonds, and loans. In addition, Marsha and I have pledged to give to this project and are doing so. It is fair to know why I support this project.

...Our decisions as elders are unanimous, even if the vote is not. The only way I would not be part of a unanimous decision after voting against it would be something that absolutely violated my conscience. This does not.

... My fellow elders are convinced that this is a wise stewardship decision. I would have to be pretty arrogant to believe I am smarter than they are.

... This eldership believes this is an act of faith and that this is the direction God would have us to go. I believe in this eldership and I support them. I submit to them.

...If we are going to be a church that reaches out into the community, and if we are going to be evangelistic, this project provides a number of physical facilities that will support this type of ministry.

... I am convinced we are getting as much "bang for the buck" as possible. This is a functional, no frills facility.

...The Visioneering group that designed this plant are faith based and they took on this project as a ministry.

... They have been very environmentally conscious.

... I do believe there are people who will give sacrificially to this project when they might not give to any other project.

... I do believe others see this as a great leap of faith. Just because I don't see it that way does not mean it is not true for others.

... Our elders are committed to not cutting missions to build buildings.

... If we use this resource to reach out into our community, this could mean supporting local missionaries (community service, evangelism, counselors, Hispanic outreach, , spiritual formation and discipleship, additional preaching ministers, etc.). And these would be to train us in these efforts, not do them for us. Our elders are committed to doing whatever it takes to reach our community with the good news of Jesus.

So...we are supporting the building. Would I have made this decision? Probably not, but I don't believe churches grow when one man leads them and/or makes all the decisions -- even if that one man was me. I believe in elder led churches. Our elders, including me, are leading us. I'm going to follow them in this.

You are welcome to respond or to ask questions.

Comments:
Steve- Thanks for your thoughts on the building project. It is hard for me to know what is best, but I definitely support you and the other elders and we will follow your lead. I appreciate the leadership that you and the other elders provide because I am sure you have a challenging role. Also, I hope Jake is feeling better today. Take care.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?