Thursday, April 24, 2008

 

To build or not to build...

OK. Because several of you asked about it, I am going to take a couple of posts to explain how I can be personally opposed to building projects yet still stand up with the other elders here at Southern Hills and not only support it but ask others to give. Not only that, but Marsha and I have committed to give to this project.

Let me start by sharing my reservations about this project. Just do me a favor and be sure and read the next post to see why I support it.

First of all, it bothers me to invest in a complex like we envision when I realize how many missionaries we could support, how many hungry could be fed, how many Bibles given out, and what a difference that money could make right here in Abilene. However, some of the building financing will be with bonds and loans and I am not sure that is the way to support missions and service projects.

I am uncomfortable with the way building projects get couched in terms like "leap of faith", "step out in faith", etc. If the great leaps of faith made by this eldership and church are building projects, we ought to be ashamed.

We continue to set this project in the context of reaching Abilene with the gospel. Buildings have never led anyone to Jesus. If we do not reach out to people now, a more inviting complex will simply be a better building no one comes to. If we are not doing it now, a building will not change it.

I wonder about people who see this as a "new and wonderful" project, the likes of which have never been seen before. I have grown up in the church of Christ and trust me, building projects are nothing new in our fellowship. That is the one thing we consistently do well. And we always act as if it the fulfillment of the Great Commission. There may be wonderful and exciting aspects to this project, but it is still just a building.

This is a mega church project (at least for Abilene), and I am not sure we are a mega-church. Or if we want to be. Or if we even should be.

No matter what we say, buildings tend to be about giving us the glory, not God. In fact, buildings generally are about us, not God. It is the old "edifice" complex.

Finally, to be so intense about restoring the church of the New Testament... we sure are "building happy". The first century church was not.

Next time I'll share why in spite of all this, I am supporting the project.

Feel free to respond to any of my concerns.

Comments:
I can not wait to see your next post, because there are so many things I agree with in this post. Maybe your next post will be the one to turn my heart to support building.
 
Thanks Brandi. Obviously I have wrestled with this. Hope my next post brings clarity to both of us.

Blessings
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?