Friday, May 23, 2008

 

In and out of ministry...

I have been thinking quite a bit lately about how to know when to get out of full-time ministry. Part of it is healthy self examination. Some of it is that we are going thru some staffing issues at Southern Hills, and part of it comes from the conversations I have had with ministers trying to decide whether to "stay or go" in terms of ministry. So here are the questions and/or observations I have been considering.

The issue is not about doing ministry. It is about how to support yourself and your family. If you only do ministry because it is your job... quit now.

Spiritual identity should never be wrapped up in what you do. Full time ministers are no more, or less, spiritual than any one else.

Do I still like what I do? Am I excited to get up and go to work? If my material needs were taken care of (Publisher's Clearinghouse? Lottery? Inheritance? Rich spouse?), would I still do what I am doing now?

Am I still effective at my ministry position? Do I still have the energy and patience to work with young people? Do I still relate to university students? Are my sermons,. lessons, programs, or ministry functions still life changing... for me and for those who hear me?

If I could do anything else, would I?

Does my wife and/or best friend think I should still be doing this ministry?

What would I do if I could do anything I wanted in life?

These are some of the questions I help preachers think about. What are some you have asked? Or some you think helpful for preachers to ask when evaluating whether to stay in full-time ministry.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?