Wednesday, May 28, 2008

 

Memorial day and church...

I have survived another Memorial Day weekend at church. We have a tradition at Southern Hills of honoring our military vets the Sunday before Memorial day. We have them stand and people applaud as we thank them for their service to our country. We acknowledge the debt we owe as a country to those who died to give us our freedom (national and political freedom, that is). This last Sunday Phil recognized the policemen and fire fighters along with veterans. Usually there is a standing ovation, but not this year.

What makes this interesting is that Southern Hills has a number of non-Americans in our church family. I can think of members from at least six different countries. I always wonder how they feel about American patriotism in an assembly of the church.

We have people who are very patriotic, have served in the military, or who have lost loved ones in war. Even some of them are uncomfortable with the emphasis given to this in a worship assembly. To speak of the "ultimate sacrifice" of soldiers in service of their country is embarrassing when we are about to partake of the Lord's Supper. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice and nothing else compares to what he did.

We also have a number of conscientious objectors at Southern Hills. These are people who believe the idea of a Christian serving in a nation's armed forces is at odds with the concept of citizenship in a heavenly country with a mandate to make disciples from every nation on earth. I am proud of these people because they are modeling how to stay in fellowship as brothers and sisters when we disagree on something.

Those who have issues with Christians serving in the military do not walk out. They simply do not join in the applause. Those who think in is inappropriate to have patriotic acts during a worship assembly do not threaten or demand things be done their way. I think there may be a lesson there.

Don't misunderstand. I think it is wrong to honor American veterans in our Christian assemblies. It communicates the wrong message to those who are seeking Jesus. It reinforces the wrong concept that we live in a Christian nation and that God favors this country. I am in an army and I belong to a kingdom not of this world. I do not need divided allegiances.

But I do know that I have brothers and sisters who do not agree with me, and who think we honored God and our salute to veterans was right and appropriate. And some of us worship together who do not agree on praise teams...or instrumental music...or Bible school... or how to dress for worship... or any number of other issues.

Maybe we will figure out how to be in unity even when we do not agree. Maybe we will learn that what unites us is so much greater than those things that would divide us.

So let me know what you think...

Comments:
Yeah, in short, I disagree with you. But still love you. Nor do I think that acknowledging our military and law enforcement would be considered a 'patriotic display' in church -- any more than acknowledging our teachers is considered a patriotic display (we are government employees, after all).

I know it's touchy, but I'm thankful to have an opportunity to appreciate folks who serve.
 
Thanks Sarah. That is exactly the point. We don't have to agree. We do have to love each other. And be able to discuss things like this openly.

steve
 
Personally, I believe last Sunday's recognition of those who served, and are still serving, was quite appropriate. To be fair, we only recognize these folks once a year. It's not as if we do this monthly.

I'm with Sarah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

-TMS
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?