Wednesday, July 16, 2008

 

Eddie Sharp moving

Eddie Sharp is leaving University church in Abilene to preach at the University Avenue church of Christ in Austin. After 28 years. Wow. We were on staff together about 25 years ago and went to ACU together. They have lived around the corner from us for all that time. Several things occurred to me as I have reflected on this event.

They are too old to take another preaching job. That's the prevailing wisdom in most of our churches. We have seen the recent trend to hire young "up and comers". UA went against the grain and I think they were very astute.

Kudos to Eddie and Annette for being open to God's call at this stage of life.

I cannot imagine what University will do. I am not sure Eddie is replaceable there.

He will be outstanding at University Avenue.

Among all the salutes and thanks going out to the Sharps, let me just say that he was as good at funerals as anyone I have ever heard. Maybe it was all the practice he got at University but he was excellent at it.

Never underestimate the pull of family. Their only grandchild is in Austin.

God bless you Eddie and Annette. You will do well.

Comments:
I don't know the Sharps, but of course I know OF them and their ministry. I have dear friends that worship at UA in Austin -- what a blessing the Sharps will be!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?