Tuesday, July 01, 2008

 

Joe Don turned 30 Sunday...

Marsha and I spent last weekend with Joe Don, Jamie, and the grandkids. We were celebrating J.D.'s 30th birthday. It hardly seems possible. Mimi sure doesn't look like someone whose baby is 30. I certainly don't feel old enough to have a son 30.

So to all of you raising your children: it goes really fast, in no time they will be grown, and you will not know where the time went. So cherish every day. You will make lots of parenting mistakes. I cringe at the baggage I gave Julie and Joe Don. But we did lots right. We prayed lots, laughed lots, loved lots. Now here's the best part. Your kids will grow up to be faithful, fun, and really good friends.

Saturday night I watched Joe Don and Jamie with their two and Julie and Bobby with their two. I watched Mimi play with the little ones. And I thought how good God has been to me.

My little boy has grown into a fine Christian man, a good husband, and a great Dad. His kids are going to be so blessed to grow up under him. My best "little buddy" has become a good friend, a trusted adviser, and someone I still enjoy hanging out with.

So know this about your kids: every year it gets better. I enjoy the time I spend with my kids as much now as ever.

Thanks JD for bringing great joy to me over the last 30 years. I look forward to the next 30.

And most of all... thanks to God.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?