Thursday, August 28, 2008

 

Back from Africa...

I am back from two weeks in Malawi and Mozambique. I will share some of the great spiritual happenings in a later post but let me share some of the personal events which I found "interesting".

... The honored me on a couple of occasions by feeding me a special meal: rice and beef liver. Fortunately I like liver.

... They also made sure at one stop that I got to stay in the very nice guest house -- the one with an indoor shower and bathroom. Of course, there was no running water. But I did appreciate the thought.

... In one of my counseling sessions our conversation was translated from one native tongue into Portuguese into another tribal language into English. Then reversed the process for my answer It was really hard for me to keep my train of thought going.

... I understand watching for snakes when baptizing. I have done that here in the States. The whole watching for crocodiles took some getting used to.

... We did have a wreck in the bus at the border of Mozambique and Malawi. Evidently in Africa it is not unusual to attempt a three (or ten) point turn on the edge of ten foot deep, six foot wide ravine. Very funny feeling going in backwards. Also interesting to watch it being pulled out afterward.

... Those of you that know me know I can have fun anywhere and under any circumstances. I pretty much can laugh at anything. I had one of those priceless moments when visiting with another speaker. While I was doing leadership training for the men, he was asked to speak to a group of women on purity. When visiting about his session afterward, I got to point out to him that his fly was open.

Oh yeah... as I write this, half of my luggage is still missing.

Glad I got to go. Glad I am back. Got back in time to preach HIP at Southern Hills. Looks like we are going to have another good year in our university ministry.

Comments:
Well, I think that makes it obvious why the Lord hasn't called me to foreign missions...!
 
Glad you are back. It was great to hear you preach last night.

Mattie May is glad your back too! You sure have a way with that younger crowd!!
 
Glad you are back, and that you had a safe and rewarding trip. Sorry we missed HIP last night, and we sure did miss you all summer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?