Tuesday, September 02, 2008

 

More from Africa...

Here are some of the really special memories from Africa.

...I always am asked to do some leadership training while there. They have had many elders from the States come and teach. They always talk about the qualifications. I spent most of my time talking about how to be a Shepherd. Several liked the idea of spending less time praying for the flock and more time praying with the sheep.

... I also spent time talking about how leaders confront temptation. In a concluding remark, one of the church leaders summed up my advice as follows: "Don't talk to a woman by yourself, don't count the money by yourself, and don't fix the communion wine by yourself". Not bad advice.

... In Mozambique there were a number of Moslems who came and heard the preaching. It made it very interesting. I thought it made it even easier to focus on the true gospel message. Most of the Moslems did not ask about instrumental music, women's role in the church, or about worship styles (sarcasm alert).

They did seem interested about who Jesus really was and whether he really makes a difference in our lives.

... I missed a couple of funerals that I wish I had been at -- one of which I had promised to preach when the time came. However, both of those would rather me have been where I was talking about Jesus. I'll tell them more about it when I see them in heaven.

... It was good to travel with Wes Shutt. He is young, enthusiastic, and eager to share the good news all over this planet. I enjoyed seeing things from his perspective.

God is good, this world needs to hear the message of his Son, people everywhere are hungry for the good news.

And I am more at home with Christians in a foreign culture than I am with non-Christians in my culture. Just something to think about.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?